Current status: Open
Online consultation opened on June 27, 2022 and will close on September 28, 2022.
Canada's agricultural sector is an important engine of economic growth and social well-being that feeds millions of people in Canada and around the world. However, it faces unique labour challenges that hinder the productivity of agricultural and processing operations, result in lost economic potential, and create stress for employers and workers alike.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) is developing a sector-specific strategy to address chronic labour shortages in farming and food processing. Our goal is to develop solutions that consider unique regional and sub-sector concerns. This will better position the sector to address short-term pressures and advance long-term solutions to help farmers and food processors meet their needs.
In recent years, AAFC has received valuable input relating to long-standing labour challenges faced by the agriculture and agri-food sector. This information has been used to inform the department's analysis in preparation for developing an Agricultural Labour Strategy, including possible actions to address these long-standing concerns.
Join the Conversation
We encourage you to complete the online consultation and/or submit any feedback on solutions and/or actions you would like considered in the development of the strategy by email.
If you would like to submit any industry association member surveys that include labour information, this would help the department develop a comprehensive picture of the issues affecting the sector today and efforts that may help address them.
Who is the focus of this consultation
The Government of Canada is consulting with the Agriculture and Agri-food sector including employers, farmers, producers, processors, workers, unions, Indigenous communities, women in agriculture, youth, small and emerging sectors as well as other key stakeholders and partners.
Key questions for discussion
We are seeking feedback on any, or all, of the questions listed below:
- What has your experience been with recruiting and retaining workers in the agricultural and agri-food sector?
- What are the future skills and technology needs of the sector?
- What potential solutions should be explored to help address labour shortages in the sector?
Share your ideas online:
- via SimpleSurvey (you won't need to sign up for an account)
- by email: aafc.AGLS-SMAG.email@example.com
- via social media, follow us on Twitter @AAFC_Canada, and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Facebook to learn more.
- Backgrounder: Temporary Foreign Worker Program Workforce Solutions Road Map
- Rejuvenating the Workforce: Developing a National Agricultural Labour Strategy (AgLS)