Other Sub-Sector Reports
... at a glance
- Chicken Farmers of Canada is the National organization that regulates the production and marketing of chicken in Canada.
- In 2021, there were 2,823 regulated chicken producers in Canada that produced 1.30 billion kilograms of chicken (eviscerated weight), 60% of which was produced in Ontario and Quebec.
- Overall in 2021, Canadian chicken production generated $3.3 billion, contributing 4.0% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2021, Canada also counted over 78 primary processing establishments, 40 of which are federally inspected, along with many further processors who depend on supply of chicken for a portion of their business.
- In 2020, chicken was the most consumed animal meat protein in Canada with a per capita disappearance of 34.4 kilograms per person, slightly below the 2019 level. This was the first year over year decrease in the last decade, explained by the impact the Covid-19 pandemic had on the chicken industry, with the closure and reduced offers from the food service industry responsible for a significant part of the chicken consumption in Canada.
- Canadian chicken and chicken products are supplemented by imports that are controlled by Tariff Rate Quotas (TRQ’s).
- In 2021, imports totalled 164.7 million kilograms in actual weight, and mostly originated from the United States, followed by Brazil, Thailand and Hungary.
- That same year, 111.8 million kilograms of meat and meat products (fresh chilled, frozen), worth $ 554.8 million, was exported to over 50 countries, with the largest importers being the United States, the Philippines, and Taiwan.
- Industry Indicators
- Imports and Exports
- Inter-provincial Movements
- Storage Stocks
Canadian federally registered plants and stations
- Codes of practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Chickens, turkeys and breeders from hatchery to processing plant
- Codes of practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Poultry - layers
- Managing a small poultry flock
- Raising chicken and turkey broilers in Canada
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.