Other sub-sector reports
... at a glance
- The Canadian Hatching Egg Producers are the national representatives for the broiler hatching egg industry in Canada.
- In 2021, the 232 broiler hatching egg producers in Canada produced over 822 million broiler hatching eggs, generating 419.4 million dollars in farm cash receipt, 0.5% of farm cash receipts in Canada. Ontario and Quebec production totaled 58% of Canada’s total.
- According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), about 90 hatcheries are licensed in Canada for different purposes (e.g. research, breeding stock, commercial production and vaccines) and various species including broiler chicken, egg type, turkey, waterfowl, and game birds. Among these regulated hatcheries, 40 are broiler hatcheries, 13 laying egg hatcheries and 7 turkey hatcheries, with some licensed for multiple species.
- In 2021, Canadian broiler hatcheries placed a total of 793 million chicks.
- The allocation of broiler hatching eggs, under the supply management system, relies on both domestic production and a predictable level of imports under tariff rate quotas (TRQ).
- According to Statistics Canada, 2021 imports of hatching eggs, chicks and poults for chicken, turkey and egg sectors were valued at $78.8 million and mostly destined for the broiler market.
- Meanwhile, exports were valued at 74.7$ million to many countries, including the US, Russia, Turkey and Mexico. Exports consisted primarily of turkey stocks, as Canada has developed expertise in the field of turkey genetics.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.