This information can help you export to markets in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region.
Overview of the ASEAN region
The ASEAN region is comprised of the following members:
In 2018, Canada-ASEAN trade in agriculture, agri-food, fish and seafood was Can$4.1 billion, with Canada exporting Can$2 billion to the region. The top three export destinations were Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines. Canada’s top exports to the region included wheat and meslin, soya beans, raw mink furskins, frozen pork, and frozen crabs.
A growing population and ongoing urbanization are driving the ASEAN region to consume more and higher value foods. In particular, ASEAN’s growing middle class is developing a taste for more high protein foods that are more convenient and nutritious.
The region is also experiencing high growth in demand for red meat, poultry and bakery products. The rising demand for protein for livestock and aquaculture products will support demand for animal feed and feed ingredients in line with growing livestock production.
Reports and guides
Top-level information to help you export to the ASEAN region: Exporting to the ASEAN region – Considerations for Canadian agri-food companies
Sector-specific opportunities in the ASEAN region for Canadian companies:
Market reports and trade data on a range of ASEAN markets:
Support to help you export to the ASEAN region
- Canada and ASEAN
- Learn about Canada's trade and investment relationship with ASEAN.
- CPTPP for Agri-Food Exporters
- Find out what the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) is and how it can benefit your exports to its markets.
- Agri-Food Trade Commissioner Service
- Reach in-market Trade Commissioner expertise that can bridge the gap between your products and ASEAN markets.
- Single window for market access services
- Contact AAFC's Market Access Secretariat at email@example.com for questions relating to agri-food trade with the ASEAN region.