Step 6. After you apply
1. We'll send you an acknowledgement notice
After you submit your application, an acknowledgement notice will be sent to you.
You should not consider your application to be submitted to the program until you receive the acknowledgment notice.
Please note that even if all eligibility criteria are met, the submission of an application creates no obligation on the part of the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada to provide funding for the project.
2. We'll assess your application
After your application is received, we'll verify that all required forms and declarations have been completed accurately and there is sufficient detail in the application for a full assessment.
For an assessment to be done by the program, your application must contain the clarity and level of detail described in How to complete the application form and all required documents must be included.
- If deemed complete, a full review and assessment of your application against the principles and criteria of the program will be carried out by assessors including program administrators and other technical reviewers within Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- If deemed incomplete, your application will be placed on hold and a notice will be sent to you to ask for more detailed information
3. We'll send you a contribution agreement
If you're approved for funding, AAFC will provide a written decision letter outlining the level of assistance awarded and any other conditions, if applicable. As well, a program officer will go over the details of the approval, including activities and funding levels, as well as start and end dates. You will also work with the program officer to negotiate the details of the contribution agreement you must sign to receive funding.
Note: even if an approval is granted, AAFC does not have the authority to reimburse recipients for costs incurred until a contribution agreement is signed.
At any point after you apply, we may contact you for more information.
You may apply for multi-year funding; however, the first project submitted for funding under the program will only be approved for 2 years of funding. The shorter timeframe allows you to outline clearer activities with more specific outcomes.
After you're able to achieve the goals and targets set out in the initial project work plan and demonstrate positive results, you may submit another application with an updated work plan and budget for the remaining years of the program.
You can track the status of your application
Access your program information to track the status of your application.
Reports you must provide
Should you be approved for funding, you must report on finances, performance and results. These reports include:
- Progress reports — reports describing the activities completed and progress made toward the completion of activities described in the project work plan
- Performance Reports — annual and end-of-year reports that track progress against mutually agreed to performance measures outlined in the contribution agreement
- Financial Reports — reporting is required with each request for reimbursement of expenditures, in addition to year-end accounting and other financial reports
- Other reports that we ask for
Our goal is to:
- respond to general inquiries made to our phone number or email address before the end of the next business day
- acknowledge receipt of your application within 1 business day
- assess your application and send you an approval or a rejection notification letter within 100 business days of receiving a complete application package