The objective of the Market Development Program for Turkey and Chicken is to deliver on the Government of Canada’s commitment to provide full and fair compensation to supply-managed sectors for market access concessions made under the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.
The program will help increase domestic demand and consumption of Canadian turkey and chicken products through industry-led promotional activities that differentiate Canadian products and producers, and leverage Canada’s reputation for high quality and safe food.
The program will provide over $44 million to the sector over the next 10 years.
Applicants will submit a multi-year strategy (maximum 5 years) to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada for approval. Funds are to be used for:
- sector-wide advertising and promotion, including in-store and food service promotions and product demonstrations
- promotional activities that build public trust in Canadian turkey and chicken products including on-farm food safety and traceability programs, animal care programs, environmental sustainability, and benefits of turkey and chicken as healthy protein options
- market research
- development and/or expansion of target audiences
- increasing delivery of current market development activities
- encouraging product development, product testing and research into new innovative processing and packaging technology at the primary and further processing level
- adapting current branding to meet changing consumer expectations
How the funds will be distributed
Funding will be distributed to national not-for-profit industry organizations working to improve the sector’s market position. Two funding packages have been created:
- $19.23 million for the Turkey Farmers of Canada
- $25 million for the Chicken Farmers of Canada
During the consultation process, Egg Farmers of Canada and the Canadian Hatching Egg Producers requested that their share of funding go towards the Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program. Responding to stakeholder requests, $17.3 million of the previously announced $36.5 million for the Turkey Farmers of Canada has been re-allocated to turkey producers under the on-farm investment program.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Market Development Program for Turkey and Chicken
1341 Baseline Road, T7-7-216
Ottawa, ON K1A 0C5
Help us improve the design and delivery of our programs and services.