Step 2. Who is eligible
Eligible recipients for years 2021-22 and 2022-23 are:
- Producers of cow's milk with a valid dairy quota license registered with a provincial milk marketing board or agency as of October 31 of each year.
"Producers of cow's milk with a valid dairy quota license" means a producer of cow's milk holding dairy quota issued by a provincial milk marketing board. This includes producers under a new entrant assistance program with loaned quota and/or whole-farm leases with loaned quota as of October 31 of each year.
The amount of the quota held according to the provincial milk marketing board or agency will be considered final. In the event:
- of a whole farm lease (where 100% of the quota is leased from one producer to another for an extended period of time and is not related to a catastrophe such as a fire, sickness of the herd, or of the producer) the lessee will receive the program payment. This does not apply in the case of partial leases
- where a producer temporarily leases their own quota or a portion of their own quota to another producer for reasons such as fire, illness with herd or illness of owner, the owner of the quota will receive the program payment
A recipient must be an individual and/or legal entity capable of entering into legally binding agreements or contracts. This includes sole proprietor businesses, partnerships and corporations.
- will receive a letter confirming eligibility and detailed instructions on how to register each year
- must register every year of the program to receive a payment
Ineligible recipients include:
- other types of dairy producers (for example goat, sheep and water buffalo producers)
- any applicant who does not own a valid dairy license according to provincial milk marketing board/agency records
- educational organizations who do not own a valid dairy quota license
- research institutions who do not own a valid dairy quota license
If you sold your farm and no longer hold quota as of October 31, you are not eligible to receive a payment for that year.