Current status: Open
The Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (S-CAP), formerly referred to as the Next Policy Framework, is a five-year (2023–2028) investment by federal, provincial and territorial (FPT) governments to strengthen and grow Canada's agriculture and agri-food sector. It will replace the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP), which ends March 31, 2023.
FPT governments have and will continue to consult with Canadians, including stakeholders such as producers, processors, Indigenous communities, women in agriculture, youth, environmental organizations, and small and emerging sectors to develop the successor Partnership.
Initial consultations on the S-CAP sought stakeholder feedback on both current and potential challenges and opportunities facing the sector and on prospective priorities and vision for the Partnership.
Ongoing consultations on the S-CAP have been focused on seeking stakeholder input on how to realize the priorities articulated in the Guelph Statement, and their desired outcomes, and recommendations to inform the policies and programs to be implemented under the S-CAP.
This consultation ends on February 15, 2023
Join the conversation
Share your experiences and ideas for the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership. Some questions you may wish to consider include
- To realize Canada as a world leader in sustainable agriculture and agri-food production action is required on multiple fronts.
- How can we increase action on climate change and better integrate climate risk and readiness throughout the Partnership, through cost-shared, federal-only, and BRM programming?
- How can we enhance supply chain resilience to reduce vulnerabilities, strengthen our export competitiveness, and improve local food systems and domestic trade?
- What are the most effective programs tools and government/industry investments to support the people who have made the sector what it is today and to ensure its success into the future?
- With all this in mind, and if not covered already, are any new approaches/programs needed? Are there any needed adjustments to existing CAP programming?
- Finally, what data, measurement and results reporting would you like to see in this upcoming Partnership?
Provide your input
Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
1341 Baseline Road, Tower 7
Floor 5, Room 300
Join the discussion on social media
Updates on the Partnership, including opportunities to view feedback summaries, will be available here throughout 2021–2022.
The Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (S-CAP) is the official name of the Next Policy Framework as agreed by FPT Ministers of Agriculture on July 22, 2022.
On November 10, 2021, Canada’s FPT Ministers of Agriculture agreed on the sustainable agriculture approach needed to help shape the S-CAP, which includes environmental, social and economic considerations in all priority areas. Their shared vision is described in the Guelph Statement.