... at a glance
- In 2020, Canada produced poultry and egg products worth $4.9 billion, contributing 6.8% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2020, there were 2,837 regulated chicken producers and 515 registered turkey producers, 236 broiler hatching egg producers and 1,205 egg producers in Canada. In addition to the 4,793 commercial poultry and egg producers in Canada, there were a large number of businesses associated with these production activities.
- In 2020, Canada's commercial chicken and turkey meat production totaled 1.43 billion kilograms, eviscerated equivalent.
- In 2020, Canada produced 1.27 billion kilograms of chicken, 60.0% of which was produced in Quebec and Ontario.
- Food availability decreased year over year in 2020 by 0.9% for chicken, 0.5% for eggs and 3.6% for Turkey.
- Chicken is the most consumed meat animal protein source. In 2020, 34.4 kg of chicken was available for every person in Canada, as well as 3.8 kg of turkey.
- Per capita availability of eggs reached 21.3 dozen in 2020. Supplying egg and poultry producers in 2020 were 57 hatcheries along with numerous feed manufacturers, feed supplement suppliers and drug suppliers. In addition, many processors, further processors, egg grading and egg processing establishments in Canada depend on the poultry industries for a portion of their business.
- In 2020, Canada exported over 10.9 million chicks and poults, worth $40.4 million to 36 countries. The United States was the large market, representing 89% of our exports in Canadian dollars. Other countries included China, Nepal, Turkey, The United Arab Emirates and Sri Lanka
- In 2020, Canada exported over 36.4 million hatching eggs of different species, worth over 66.0 million dollars, to 24 countries. The United States was the largest market with 54% of our value exported heading south of the border, while other primary countries included Russia, Turkey and France.
- In 2020, Canada exported over 6.9 million kilograms of processed eggs worth 18.5 million dollars and over 21.9 million shell eggs worth over 2.8 million dollars.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
View the Service standards for poultry reports.