AgriStability: Step 2. Who is eligible

Step 2. Who is eligible

You are eligible to participate in AgriStability if you:

  • farm in Canada
  • file an income tax return reporting farming income (loss) to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by the final filing deadline for the program yearFootnote 1
  • filed farming income (loss) for tax purposes for all reference years in which you farmed
  • complete a minimum of six consecutive months of farming activity and a production cycle, unless you experienced a disaster
  • enrol in the program, pay your fee and file a form by the applicable deadlines

You may also need to comply with certain conditions set by your province or territory to receive a benefit. For more information on cross compliance, visit What is cross compliance?

Who can participate?

Participants include:

  • individual producers
  • partners in a partnership
  • corporations
  • co-operatives
  • communal organizations
  • landlords in a joint ventureFootnote 2
  • estates
  • trusts
  • limited partnerships
  • Status Indians and Band Farms farming on a reserve

Who cannot participate?

The following individuals or entities cannot participate in AgriStability:

  • government funded organizations, including research stations, universities and colleges
  • landlords earning rental income (cash rent or payments-in-kind) for crop or livestock shares or arrangementsFootnote 2
  • former federal public office holders or public servants who are not in compliance with federal conflict of interest guidelines
  • dissolved corporations

What commodities are eligible?

Most commodities reported to the Canada Revenue Agency as farming income are eligible for AgriStability.

For more information, visit Is your production eligible?

For detailed program information, access the AgriStability Program Handbook.

Note: AgriStability is delivered by the federal government in Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories and Yukon.

AgriStability is delivered provincially in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, and Prince Edward Island.