... at a glance
- Egg Farmers of Canada is the national organization responsible for the production and marketing of eggs in Canada.
- In 2022, the egg sector in Canada generated $1.6 billion in farm cash receipts, contributing 1.7% of cash receipts from agricultural operations in Canada.
- Canada had 1,218 registered egg producers across the country, with the majority (52%) concentrated in Ontario and Quebec, 44% in Western provinces and the Northwest Territories, and 4% in Atlantic provinces.
- Canada also counted 182 federally registered egg grading stations and 22 federally registered processing egg establishments in Canada.
- In 2022, over 804 million dozen eggs were graded, 58% of which were produced in Ontario and Quebec.
- The egg market in Canada is divided into two categories, table eggs and processed eggs. The table egg market, mostly supplying the retail and food service market, accounts for approximately 70% of the Canadian egg production. Meanwhile, the egg processing sector, supplying the industrial, food service and retail sectors, accounts for the balance (approximately 30%).
- Processed eggs are produced from shell eggs broken and processed into whole eggs, albumen, and yolks, in liquid, frozen, or dried form. These are also transformed into other products such as scrambled egg mix, hard cooked eggs, and egg patties. Processed egg products are also sold to further processors for the manufacturing of many food items such as bakery products, mayonnaise, and noodles, along with specialty items such as shampoo, pet foods and adhesives.
- In 2022, per capita disappearance in Canada was 21.5 dozen, 0.6% above the previous year. Egg per capita consumption has grown continuously over the past decade, with the exception of 2020 explained by the impact the Covid-19 pandemic had on the egg processing industry with the closure and reduced offer from restaurants and hotels.
- Canadian egg production is supplemented by imports in the form of shell eggs, shell eggs for breaking, egg products and egg powder, subject to import controls such as Tariff Rate Quotas (TRQ's), and policies pertaining to supplemental imports.
- In 2022, a total of 27 million dozen of shell eggs, mostly for breaking, and 2.2 million kilograms of processed eggs in the form of liquid, frozen and dried were imported into Canada. Meanwhile, Canadian processors exported 2.5 million kilograms of processed egg products. United States remains Canada’s main trading partner in the egg industry.
- In 2022, the Canadian commercial poultry and egg industry was affected by highly pathogenic avian influenza with over 7.6 million birds affected in 9 provinces.
- The most popular breed of chicken for egg production in Canada is the White Leghorn.
- Provincial rankings by grade
- Egg import and export
- Interprovincial movement of table eggs
- Table egg prices
- Processed egg products
- Processed egg storage stocks
Federally registered institutions and stations
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.