Other Sub-Sector Reports
- Poultry and egg industry profile
- Ducks and geese
- Table and processed eggs
- Hatching eggs
... at a glance
- Egg Farmers of Canada is the National organization that regulates the production and marketing of eggs in Canada.
- In 2021, there were 1,205 registered egg farms in Canada. The eggs in shell sold for consumption industry generated $1.4 billion in total farm cash receipts, contributing 1.7% of cash receipts to farming operation in Canada.
- Ontario had 35.7% of the federal egg quota allocation in Canada, while Quebec was second with 20.0%. The western provinces and the Northwest Territories had a combined federal egg quota of 36.8%, while the Atlantic provinces had 7.1%.
- The most popular breed of chicken for egg production in Canada is the White Leghorn.
- In 2021, there were 182 federally registered egg grading stations and 13 federally registered processing egg establishments in Canada.
- The egg market in Canada is divided into two categories, table eggs and processed eggs. The table egg market represents the majority of Canada’s consumption (approx. 70%), while processed eggs account for the remaining 30%.
- Egg processing includes the manufacturing of whole eggs, albumen, and yolks, in frozen, dried, or liquid form. It also includes scrambled egg mix, hard cooked eggs, and patties.
- Processed eggs are sold in retail, to hotels, restaurants, and institutions. They are sold to further processors for the manufacturing of many food items such as bakery products, mayonnaise, and noodles. Specialty items such as shampoo, pet foods and adhesives also include processed eggs.
- In 2020, per capita disappearance in Canada was 21.3 dozen, 0.5% below the previous year. This first year over year decrease in the last decade can be explained by the impact the Covid-19 pandemic had on the egg processing industry with the closure and reduced offer from the Hotels, Restaurants, and Institutions. Overall, egg per capita consumption increased 30% over the last 10 years.
- Canadian supplies are supplemented by imports that are controlled by Tariff Rate Quotas ( TRQ ' s) in the form of shell eggs, shell eggs for breaking, egg products and egg powder.
- In 2021, a total of 26.6 million dozens of shell eggs and 3.0 million kg of processed eggs in the form of liquid, frozen and dried was imported into Canada, mostly originating from the United States. Meanwhile, Canadian processors exported 1.9 million kg of processed egg products.
- Provincial rankings by grade
- Eggs import and export
- Interprovincial movement of table eggs
- Table egg prices
- Processed eggs products
- Processed eggs storage stocks
Federally registered institutions and stations
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.